Most children in Atlanta with an incarcerated parent need to travel 100 miles or more to see them. Not surprisingly, this is the primary reason children don’t get to see their incarcerated parents with any regularity. We address this by providing regularly scheduled transportation for kids in Atlanta to see their mothers incarcerated at three of the four women’s correctional facilities in Georgia: Lee Arrendale, Emanuel, and Pulaski State Prisons for Women. These trips, which occur 9 months out of the year (excluding January, June and July), often involve between one and two hour drives and approximately five hours or more hours at the prison for the visit. Children visit with their incarcerated mothers in the Children’s Center at the prison or in the general visitation room. Mothers who are interested in becoming a part of the Children’s Center at their prison must work with the staff person who is over the Center. They will need to complete an application and have no active disciplinary reports (DRs) during the time they are applying and while enrolled in the program. They will also need to participate in parenting classes.
1. Trips are on the 2nd Saturday of every month except January, June and July.
2. On trip days, Foreverfamily Atlanta opens at 6:00 am and breakfast is served. Buses to Pulaski State Prison leaves at 6:10 am and returns at 5:45 pm. Buses to Emanuel leaves at 6:20 am and returns at 6:00 pm. Buses to Arrendale State prison leave at 7:20 am and return at 4:30 pm.
3. The cost for riding on our buses to the prison is $1 per person.
4. The visit is for the children and caregivers who choose to participate are welcome to go on the visit twice a year during Family Day or if the child has special needs or is under the age of 4 yrs old.
5. Children who attend the trip without a caregiver will be chaperoned by Foreverfamily staff and volunteers. These children must be potty trained.
6. Foreverfamily will only pick up children in Fulton and DeKalb counties for the trip. Children who live outside these counties and want to ride our buses to the prisons must be dropped off at Foreverfamily Atlanta by an adult.
For more information, please call Foreverfamily Atlanta at 404-658-9606 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share this page